The onset of summer brings fun and frolic with swimming and beach holidays, but don’t forget the sun damage that comes in its wake. Just a few minutes in the scorching heat and the skin produces a brown colored pigment called melanin that can give a dark tanned look to the skin. Applying sunscreen before stepping out in the sun is essential to avoid a tan. However, prolonged exposure to the sun leaves the sunscreen ineffective and the excessive sweating washes it away.
Getting rid of a sun tan can be quite difficult. However, if you do some of the things that are contrary to preserving a tan such as using a granular exfoliator regularly and you avoid further sun exposure while using a sunscreen with a higher SPF than you would normally use, your tan will begin to fade more rapidly.
In addition to these measures a few home remedies might be useful for getting you closer to your goal.
- Apply raw potato juice to remove tan. It can also be mixed with a little lemon juice as lemon has natural bleaching properties.
- Mix cucumber paste with lemon juice and fuller’s earth and apply it for 15 minutes and then wash it off. It is an excellent anti-tan pack.
- A mixture of yogurt and lemon juice applied on the problematic spots for about 15 minutes before taking a shower can be a good way to lighten the color of your skin.
- Alternatively a paste made with yogurt, honey and turmeric can have a similar effect. Leave this paste on the problem areas for twenty minutes than rinse with lukewarm water.
- Mix sesame seed oil, olive oil and almond oil in the ratio 4:1:1 and apply it on your skin. Leave it for 20 minutes and wash it off with warm water using gram flour/besan or a mild soap. This is an effective natural remedy to get rid of suntan. It also improves complexion.
- Squeeze lemon juice in a cup, add some sugar and a few drops of glycerin to it. Use this to scrub the tanned area. Use you the tip of you fingers in a rhythmic and gentle motion. This treatment will not only help you get rid of the tan but soften the skin as well. Mix 1/4 cup of lemon juice to 1/2 cup sugar. Use a loofah and scrub.
- Use potato peels as they have antioxidant properties that whiten the skin.
- Apply mashed cucumber on the affected area. It has cooling properties that soothe the skin and lighten it as well.
- A blend of almond and sandalwood paste is also helps get rid of tans. Sandalwood is known to soothe and lighten the skin.
- Effect of sunburn could be prevented by this home remedy. Mix 1 tsp potato juice, in 1 tsp of lemon juice and apply it on affected area. Leave it for 15 minutes. Wash it off. Repeat the process once a day till you get rid of sun tan.
- Mix tomato juice with a little curd and apply. Wash it off after 20 minutes.
- Use of natural scrub like oatmeal ( add warm water to oatmeal, mix it well to form a paste) helps to remove dead skin cells and stimulate blood circulation.
- Mix a little fresh lemon juice, gram flour ( besan) and curd and apply it on the skin for 15 minutes regularly to get rid of sun tan.
- If you would rather use single ingredient instead of a paste, cucumber juice can be a good alternative for your face and neck. If you have problems with redness caused by sun expose, you can soothe the skin using a mixture of honey and cucumber juice. Cucumber slices can be applied on the rest of the body for a similar effect.
- Sugar Scrub: A good home remedy for sun tan is to mix equal quantities of sugar granules and lemon juice. Apply this mixture all over the exposed skin and scrub for 15 minutes. Keep for another 15 minutes. This will provide a natural bleached effect.
The key with these natural home remedy is consistence. Make sure to apply these natural remedies on a regular basis to be able to see gradual improvements.