New Parents Feel Excited, Tired, and Nervous
With the coming of newborn baby into the family, there are lots of changes which you face in your everyday life. Your schedule changes completely and you have to make yourself adjust to the new parenting demands. Your newborn baby needs extra care. It may look tough to you at first, if you are a first-time parent, but taking care of your newborn child need not be that difficult.
There are many changes that take place and new things to learn when you become a parent. It doesn’t happen overnight. There will be good times and bad times and you and your baby will survive them all.
Some fathers feel shy about touching and holding their new baby. Others are willing to try even if they feel like they don’t know exactly what they’re doing. Knowing how to care for a baby takes time and practice. Dads, give yourself a chance. Pretty soon you will feel like you’ve been a father your whole life.
Babies bring change, both expected and unexpected. You may have expected and looked forward to the joy and love you would feel as a new parent. You may not have expected some of the feelings of stress and dissatisfaction that happened when your responsibilities and routines changed.
Tips for taking care of your newborn baby:
- Taking care of newborn’s feed / Breastfeeding is Good for You and Your Baby – The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends breastfeeding for the first few months. Make sure you breastfeed your baby every one to two hours and look out for signs of hunger – i.e. too much mouth movement – to know when your baby is hungry. Gradually you will be able to fix your newborn’s feeding schedule and after feeding your baby, slowly burp them to get rid of any excess gas.
- Baby’s sleep / Put Your Baby to Sleep on His Back to Prevent Sudden Infant Death Syndrome – Taking care of your newborn’s sleep is animportant part of baby care. A newborn baby can sleep up to 18 hours a day. Coping with your child’s sleeping schedule is extremely hard, but to make things easier for you and your little one, try to develop a sleep routine. . Make sure you provide a safe, clean and a peaceful environment, and after a feed the baby should feel sleepy and be allowed to rest.
- Nappy care / Cloth Diapers – Regular diaper checks and changes are a must while taking care of your newborn baby. Non-scented baby wipes should be used to avoid irritation. You should always wash your hands after each diaper change to keep your baby away from germs. Use of cotton diapers is advisable by doctors. Disposable diapers should be avoided as they make the nappy area humid and hot, which is the primary reason for nappy rashes and urine infections.
- Dressing your little one – Grooming your baby is always a fun activity, but this needs a lot of care as well. Give your baby a daily sponge bath with a lukewarm water to maintain cleanliness. Dress them two to three times a day to make them feel nice and smell good.
- Comfort Quotient for your baby – Your baby needs to feel comfortable all the time. Always hold your child carefully, with your arms supporting your baby’s head and neck to prevent injury. Holding your baby promotes a bond between you.. Cover your baby with blanket to compose them and this is also a great technique to reduce their frustrations.
Taking care of your newborn baby is not that difficult. You might hear many things about sleepless nights and constant diaper changes, which may worry you to some extent, but actually, it’s not be as bad as you might fear. So do not worry, and make sure your newborn gets the best care.