Most of us treat our hair the way we do our teeth – never really providing the necessary attention and care until such time that we begin to suffer from some discomfort. Realizing that you have begun losing hair then triggers off a frantic phase of clutching at all possible straws right from your grandmother’s hair care recipe to visiting a trichologist. In reality, hair quality largely depends on several factors of which, some such as heredity may be beyond your control but others such as lifestyle and diet are definitely in your hands.
It’s better to use natural products to stop hair-fall than to go in for expensive parlor treatments, that may not help the problem.
Try the following easy tips at home and see how effective they are in reducing hair loss!
- Hot oil treatments: Take any natural oil – olive, coconut, canola – and heat it up so that it is warm, but not too hot. Massage it gently into your scalp. Put on a shower cap and leave it on for an hour, then shampoo your hair.
- Natural juices: You can rub your scalp with either garlic juice, onion juice or ginger juice. Leave it on overnight and wash it thoroughly in the morning.
- Get a head massage: Massaging your scalp for a few minutes daily will help stimulate circulation. Good circulation in the scalp keeps hair follicles active. Circulation may be improved through massage by using a few drops of lavender or bay essential oil in an almond or sesame oil base.
- Antioxidants: Apply warm green tea (two bags brewed in one cup of water) on your scalp and leave this mixture on for an hour and then rinse. Green tea contains antioxidants which prevent hair loss and boost hair growth.
- Practice meditation: Believe it or not, most of the times, the root cause for hair loss is stress and tension. Meditation can help in reducing that and restore hormonal balance.
One important point to remember is that the quality of your hair is a direct outcome of the kind of nourishment you provide it. Since times immemorial, certain oils have been used by people because of their nourishing properties. Although growing back lost hair is a tall order, the judicious use of these oils can help you stem further hair loss and this, in itself, will give you hair that has volume and a healthy sheen and bounce.