Bronchitis is inflammation and infection of the lining of the bronchial tubes. Symptoms of bronchitis include wheezing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, fatigue, heavy and multicolored mucus production (clear, white, yellow, green), and persistent cough.
There are two types of bronchitis: Acute and chronic. Acute bronchitis comes on suddenly as a result of a cold or flu virus. Chronic bronchitis is often the result of cigarette smoking, allergies, and air pollution.
Natural Treatments for Bronchitis
One of the easiest home remedies that you can try to treat bronchitis is onions.
- Shallots or small onions will be offering a better remedy for bronchitis than the normal large big onions. The onions have the characteristics to dissolve the mucus and the phlegm.
- Eating five to six shallots with a little bit of sugar is an excellent remedy that will help to remove mucus and phlegm. Eat this every day for several times to get better relief from bronchitis.
- You can also extract the juice from a medium sized onion and take a teaspoon or two of raw onion juice every say morning to deal with bronchitis.
- Adding raw onions to your daily vegetable salad or even using onions while cooking will work out to be effective in treating bronchitis.
The Epsom salt bath is a well known home remedy to treat symptoms of acute bronchitis.
- It is important for people suffering from chronic bronchitis to take a bath twice a day in the Epsom salt mixed water. If you are suffering from acute bronchitis, then it is ideal that you take a hot Epsom salt bath every night to get relief from bronchitis.
- Add one kilogram of Epsom salt in 60 liters of warm water.
- Let the Epsom salt dissolve in this water completely and then you need to immerse your entire body in this warm Epsom salt water for about half an hour.
- Repeat this process daily if you are suffering from acute bronchitis to get instant relief from bronchitis.
Sesame seeds is said to be an effective ingredient that will help in reducing the symptoms linked with chronic bronchitis.
- It will help in giving excellent relief to the chest pain that is associated with dreaded bronchitis disease.
- Mix half a teaspoon of the sesame seeds powder in two tablespoons of water.
- Have this sesame powder mixed water twice every day to get relief from bronchitis.
- You can also take a teaspoon of linseed, a teaspoon of sesame seeds and a pinch of common salt and mix it very well. To this mix, add a tablespoon of honey.
- Drink this mixture every night before going to bed to get relief from bronchitis the next day.
Salt Water Gargle-
Various symptoms associated with bronchitis can be stopped by gargling salt water several times.
- This will help in soothing your throat inflammation and also will help in reducing the mucus in the throat that is causing irritation.
- Add a teaspoon of table salt or rock salt to a glass of warm water. Let the salt dissolve in the water completely.
- Gargle for several times a day to reduce the irritation and inflammation in your throat.
- You need to take in the same quantity of salt every time you add salt to water for gargling as too much salt has the tendency to cause a burning sensation in the throat. Little amount of salt will not be effective for bronchitis. So, stick on to one teaspoon for a glass of warm water always.
Orange juice is found to be an effective home remedy to treat symptoms of acute bronchitis.
- Orange juice is rich in vitamins and minerals and is also an excellent remedy for sore throat.
- Drink as many glasses of orange juice as you want when you feel hungry. But, make sure that you avoid solid food for a few days to reduce symptoms of bronchitis.
- It is also important for you to just consume fresh orange juice made from oranges and do not go for orange juices with added preservatives that you get in the market.
Turmeric Powder/ Haldi-
Turmeric powder has anti inflammatory properties apart from being a very effective antiseptic.
- It is used to treat a lot of bronchitis symptoms. It is very good remedy that you can think of for cough that is associated with bronchitis.
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk.
- Boil this mixture and bring it to lukewarm state.
- Now, take this turmeric milk with a spoon of ghee for three to four times a day to reduce bronchitis symptoms.
- It would be better for you to consume this milk on an empty stomach in the morning to see even better results.
- It will help in reducing the excessive mucous in the lungs and will help in getting quick relief.
Ginger is a natural home remedy that you can think of to treat the common cold. It is also very effective in treating bronchitis.
- Ginger has anti inflammatory properties that will provide you great relief from irritated, swollen and inflamed lungs.
- Herbal ginger tea is a very good home remedy for bronchitis symptoms.
- Add a teaspoon of dry ginger powder and a teaspoon of black pepper in a cup of water. Mix well and bring this water to a boil.
- Sim for a few minutes and then add a teaspoon of honey to this herbal ginger tea.
- Drink this tea twice a day for better results.
- You can also make a fine powder by mixing equal quantities of black pepper powder, cloves powder and dry ginger powder. Mix it well with a tablespoon of honey or milk and consume this thrice a day to reduce bronchitis symptoms effectively.